JHS Alumni Online
Read about our community and see photos from the past.Alpha List of JHS AlumniVisit the JHS ALumni Message Center
JHS Alumni Home PageClass Rosters & PhotosThe Alumni DirectoryUpcoming Class ReunionsContact Us

School and Community History, Pg. 1
Pg. 2 - Pg. 3 - Pg. 4


If you have anything that you'd like to contribute for this section of the website, please send it to us!

Remember the old School Song? Click here for the words and music.


This was the first Ward School in Jacksonville. It was located across the street from the (future) Tomato Bowl. A Dairy Queen was eventually built next door -- (the one pictured on the Class of 1961 web site).

This building became known as "The King Apartments" when B.A. King, Sr. purchased it in later years.

This Jacksonville High School was built in 1910 on the same site as the Tomato Bowl. The building later became the first East Side Elementary School.



Remember 'Miss Lavinia' (Monkress)?
Once upon a time there was no Tomato Bowl in Jacksonville, but upon that site rested an old multi-level building called East Side School. This 1937 photo of the first grade class was taken in front of the 'Old East Side' School. The first grade teacher (far right) was Miss Lavinia Monkress, who also taught first grade at the 'new' East Side School for many more years.
(Photo and caption furnished by Parlon Morton, 2nd from right on top row - not counting Miss Lavinia. Parlon has promised to send names for the other students and we'll post them here as soon as we get them....Meanwhile, Mavis Goodson (JHS '55) has identified her sister, Frankie
Goodson, as the little girl standing on the far right -- just in front of Miss Lavinia.)
This photo is of the 1944 (eighth grade) graduating class at East Side School. Top Row (L to R): Bobby Merritt, Max Odom, Dan Newell, Earle Allen, Parlon Morton, Jerry Smith, Gene Hendry, Clyde Hughes, Bobby Joe Jennings and Tom Bounds. 2nd Row: Jean Roberts, Peggy Hataway, A.J. Brazil, Nancy Jane Lowe, Minnie Mae Jones (?), Bob McLean and Edith Ditto. 3rd Row: Bobby Lambright, Eloise Gore, John Oakley Childs, Joe Ballard, Helen Poland, Martha Albritton, Martha Strother (principal), Miss Walling (teacher), Miss Reba Monkress (Teacher), and Betty Bolton. Front Row: Jean Officer, Juanita Williams, Alice Marie Taylor, Carol Schultz, Peggy Jo Chancellor, Martha Covington, Betty Ruth Barber, Ann Herrington, Martha Beall and Miss Eagerton (teacher). This photo was furnished by Parlon Morton - names of the students and teachers were provided by Martha Beall Christian and Bob Buckingham (8th Grade Class Historian in 1945). Thanks to all of you!


Miss Lavinia Monkress (known to her students as 'Miss Lavinia') was an 'institution' in Jacksonville. This 1954 1st grade class was the last class she taught before she retired. The photo was taken in front of the 'new' East Side. The principal was Mr. Fletcher Wilson. (Photo courtesy of Terry Smith, JHS '65 -- front row, fourth from right -- not counting Mr. Wilson.)

This Jacksonville High School was built in 1925. It became the Junior High School when the new million dollar structure (shown below) was built in 1958 on Mason Drive.

The current Jacksonville High School (opened in 1958), as it appeared in 1976.


Future Class of 1965

This photo shows a group of 2nd grade girls at Joe Wright School. Top row: Charlotte Smith, (unknown), Nancy Peterson, Rita Wilburn, Louisa Dodd, Linda Loper, Kay Lewis and Rose Ann O'Dell. Bottom row: Lola Chandler, Eugenia Donahue, Murvel Morrison, Peggy Coleman, Sonja Garner, Mary Ann Whitley and (unknown). -- Photo furnished by Murvel Morrison Thompson, JHS '65

Click Here to See More Historical Photos